Our aim is for fishermen and scientists to work together to gain a better understanding of the demersal resources of the Maltese Fishery Management Zone.
Our progress so far
Fishermen perceive that trawling effort should increase in the 25 nautical mile fishery management zone.
We are sharing knowledge, perspectives and survey data with fishermen and jointly considering the effectiveness of the management regime.
The cooperative activities will help bridge the gap that exists between fishermen and scientists and how science can help in the management of the demersal trawl fishery in Malta. Our progress is outlined below:
|24 Months On: Update from the Malta case study|
24 Months On: Nicholas Flores Martin gives an update of the work of the MAlta case study...
|One Year On: Progress Update on the GAP2 Project|
An update on the Maltese case study investigating sustainable trawler management, one year into the GAP2 project.
Case study researcher
- Head of the Fisheries Scientific Data Analysis and Advice Section of the Fisheries Control Directorate at the Maltese Ministry for Resources and Rural Affairs.
- Currently, Roberta is using data from Mediterranean International Trawl Surveys (MEDITs) to study deep-water cephalopod populations in the Matlese Fisheries Management Zone.
- She previously studied demersal stocks using data gained through MEDITs also.
- Email: email@example.com
Case study partner
- Secretary of the Għaqda Koperattiva tas-Sajd
- E-mail: Paul.Piscopo@fishkoop.com
- Maltese fishers and fisher co-operatives
- Għaqda Koperattiva tas-Sajd